City of Santa Barbara issues statement on death of Tyre Nichols
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The city of Santa Barbara issued a statement on the death of Tyre Nichols on Friday afternoon.
"The death of Tyre Nichols is appalling, tragic, and was unnecessary," the statement started. "The individuals involved have rightly been fired and criminally charged in the death of Tyre Nichols. There is no excuse for their actions. The actions of these individuals do not reflect the values of our public safety departments and tarnish the badge we all wear."
Tyre Nichols was a 29-year-old man who died on Jan. 10 from injuries inflicted by police officers three days earlier in Memphis, Tennessee, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
Kelly Gordon, Chief of Police for the city of Santa Barbara said, “I want to take this opportunity to say I am proud to work with the men and women who act with nobility and honor our oath. I am thankful for their professionalism and how they serve our community. I know they will rise to this challenge, and I encourage discussion in an effort to preserve the trust we have with our community.”
The statement said the "Santa Barbara Police Department began incorporating de-escalation as part of our defensive tactics, firearms and less than lethal weapons curriculum several years ago. We utilize scenario and reality-based training to ensure our officers understand the concepts of de-escalation."
The Santa Barbara City Fire Department said it is also committed to providing comprehensive, caring and compassionate service to the community.
Chief Chris Mailes said, “Together with our response partners, the Santa Barbara Fire Department ensures that all community members and visitors are cared for like members of our own family.”
For the full statement, click here.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown also issued a statement about the death of Tyre Nichols available here.