Skip to Content

Central Coast firefighters share home fire safety tips during cold weather

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The US Fire Administration reports that 50% of home-heating fires happen between December and February.

Each year during the winter season, fire fighters at Cal Fire in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara County Fire say there is a risk for house fires.

Fire crews say if you have a heater in your home, keep three feet of space around it.

Fire crews suggest having chimneys checked and cleaned by a professional once a year and do not throw any trash in your fireplace.

Wall outlets are also a safe choice to heat your home.

“If you don't have enough outlets in your room and you're using a power strip, do not overload those power strips. Those power strips can get hot. Therefore, you may have a electrical fire at some point," said Toni Davis, Cal Fire SLO.

For more from Tony, follow him on Twitter below:

Article Topic Follows: San Luis Obispo County

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Tony Almanza


News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content