Skip to Content

Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

NewsChannel 3 now knows what started a fire in a dorm room on the Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo campus.

Fire investigators say an unattended candle left in a room in the Poly Canyon Village complex started the blaze. It happened just before 8 p.m. Wednesday.

More than 400 students were evacuated from the complex while firefighters put out the flames.

The damage was contained to a single bedroom, and is estimated at $25,000.

Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

The room’s sprinkler system is being credited with keeping the fire in check until firefighters arrived.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Channel 3-12

Email the News Channel 3-12 Team


News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content