Skip to Content
San Luis Obispo County

Defendants in Kristin Smart case plead not guilty

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The man accused of killing Kristin Smart appeared in court Monday and pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder.

Paul Flores, 44, appeared via video in San Luis Obispo Superior Court Monday. He, along with his father, Ruben Flores, were arrested last week as part of the decades-long investigation into the disappearance of Kristin Smart.

Flores is accused of killing Kristin Smart during an attempted rape at his dorm at Cal Poly in 1996. He is believed to be the last person to see Smart alive.

Ruben Flores has been charged with accessory to the crime. He is alleged to have helped his son conceal Smart's body. Ruben Flores also pleaded not guilty to his charges on Monday.

Paul Flores remains in custody and judge Craig Van Rooyen upheld his no-bail status, despite arguments made from Flores' lawyer who said Flores was not a threat to the public and not a flight risk.

A motion to have Ruben Flores' bail amount decreased was approved by judge Van Rooyen who said the 80-year-old is not a flight-risk and is not a danger to the public. A hearing was scheduled for next week to determine a new bail amount. He is currently in custody at the jail with bail set at $250,000.


Playlist: The Disappearance of Kristin Smart

Playlist: The Disappearance of Kristin Smart

Crime
Author Profile Photo

NewsChannel 3-12

Email the NewsChannel 3-12 Team

Skip to content