Skip to Content

Libya asks Lebanon to release Gadhafi’s detained son who is on hunger strike, officials say

By BASSEM MROUE
Associated Press

BEIRUT (AP) — Libya’s judicial authorities have formally asked Lebanon’s prosecutor general to release one of Moammar Gadhafi’s sons, who has been held without charges in Lebanon since 2015. The health of Hannibal Gadhafi has been deteriorating since he went on hunger strike on June 3, to protest his detention without trial. Lebanese judicial officials said on Monday that Libya’s prosecutor general sent a request earlier this month to his Lebanese counterpart regarding Hannibal Gadhafi. The officials say the note said Lebanon’s cooperation in this matter could help reveal the truth regarding the fate of a prominent Lebanese Shiite cleric, Moussa al-Sadr, who went missing in Libya in 1978.

Article Topic Follows: ap-national-news

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

The Associated Press

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content