SANTA MARIA, Calif. – Another year, another record for the annual Day of Hope cancer fundraiser.
On Wednesday morning, Dignity Health revealed a record-breaking total of $373,630 was raised during last month's day-long fundraiser, which was held on Aug. 23.
"I was blown away," said Day of Hope ambassador Andrea Sauceda. "I can't believe it! It's more than what I think we all thought. It's incredible!"
The final amount was announced during the "Day of Hope Thank You Celebration," a special event held for local media and participating teams.
The dollar amount breaks the previous mark of $343,720 set last year in 2022.
"This is more money than we've ever raised before," said Sue Anderson, Marian Regional Medical Center President/CEO. "Every year it gets better, and you know what I love about it? It's just that it's a dollar at a time. It's our community contributing in small ways and in large ways and to have it all add up."
Day of Hope is a yearly community fundraising event for Mission Hope Cancer Center, which operates facilities in Santa Maria and Arroyo Grande.
All of the proceeds collected during the event help support cancer patient assistance needs, the acquisition of new technology and equipment, and programs and services.
"It's really awesome because all this money that is raised goes to new equipment and updating things," said Sauceda. "But to me the biggest thing that I received at Mission Hope Cancer Center was the support services, getting to meet my staff, the nurse navigators, getting to be part of a support group, getting rides, all those things get to continue for patients that are here at the cancer center. that are going to be here in the months and years to come."
In addition to the final dollar amount that was raised during the Day of Hope, several other honors were also announced during the Thank You Celebration, including the top fundraising teams.
Day of Hope 2023 Top Company Teams
- First place company team: Rugged Radios. Team revenue total: $47,000.82. Team leaders: Taryn Teclaw and Greg Cottrell.
- Second place company team: CoastHills Credit Union- Banking on a Cure. Team revenue total: $9,165.65. Team leaders: Lisa Ma’a, Alex Vasquez, Michelle Petersen, and Angelica Gonzalez.
- Third place company team: Mission Hope Cancer Center. Team revenue total: $6,177.43. Team leader: Cynthia Maldonado.
Day of Hope 2023 Top Friends & Family Teams
- First place friends and family team: Passion for Color. Team Revenue total: $30,111.67. Team leaders: Angelica Gutierrez, Lorena Chavez, and Monica Barragan.
- Second place friends and family team: For the Pink Ribbon. Team revenue total: $18,033.13. Team leader: Meredith Rodriguez.
- Third place friends and family team: Old Town Orcutt. Team revenue total: $13,110.64. Team leader: Michelle Shipman
Earning the Best Dressed Team award was the Mission Hope Cancer Center team, which dressed as 1920's "newspaper hawkies," which were also known as "newsies."
Planning is already underway for next year's 11th Annual Day of Hope, which will be held in late August 2024. An announcement for the exact date is expected sometime next month.
For more from Dave, follow him on Twitter below:Follow @DaveAlleyTV