The Santa Barbara Bucket Brigade zeroed in on the Farrell home on Monday in Montecito, removing piles of dirt and debris.
You might remember the home from the viral video released the day of the debris flow.
The Brigade’s main goal is to search every property, looking for the two remaining bodies lost on January 9th.
Monday was day five of clean up efforts at the Farrell residence on Olive Mill Road in Montecito.
A handful of Santa Barbara Bucket Brigade volunteers went through the remaining mud piles at Marco Farrell’s family property.
“We are doing a search for the two kids that are still missing,” said Farrell. “We want to be able to check all the properties and all of the mud piles between their homes and the ocean. We want to make sure we don’t leave any stone unturned.”
The January 9th mudslides claimed the lives of 23 people. The bodies of two children remain missing. So far, no sign of 2-year-old Lydia Sutthithepa and 17-year-old Jack Cantin, but in recent days another discovery was found.
“We found beautiful gold jewelry set, with a necklace and earrings, and a big gold bracelet that was found here and we found the owner,” said Farrell. “She lost both her parents in the flow, but she was extremely grateful, and she said it was like a little visit from her mom.”
As volunteers carefully search through the dirt and throw out debris progress is being made, but many piles remain.
“It’s really really hard because there is so much yet to do,” said Carol Batoli, a volunteer from Santa Barbara. “People just don’t realize how much more there still is left to dig. We need volunteers.”
“It’s an incredible group,” said Farrell. “It helps us in ways that can’t be described. What they did since 9 a.m. would of taken me probably two months.”
Farrell says he and his family are planning on rebuilding next spring.