Skip to Content

Chocolates and dogs are a killer combination

Halloween is just around the corner, and veterinarians warn that some chocolates and candies can be life-threatening for dogs.

“Chocolate can be fatal to dogs, and they can die from it,” said All Valley Pet Hospital Veterinarian, Dr. Kahlon.

Kahlon said his clinic often sees an increase in animals coming in sick from eating Halloween goodies at this time of year. He says that even small amounts of chocolate can severely hurt your pet.

“The fatal dose is as little as one ounce per pound of dog,” says Kahlon.

If your dog has eaten chocolate, you need to act fast. Kahlon says if the dog has ingested it within the hour to induce vomiting before rushing to the hospital.”

Kahlon says you can do this by giving your dog hydrogen peroxide, one teaspoon per five pounds of the dog, but don’t exceed eight teaspoons regardless of your dog’s weight.

Chewing gum and sugar-free candy with artificial sweetener Xylitol can also be deathly for your pets. Kahlon says it can cause severe liver damage to your dog.

“Xylitol can cause seizures and immediate death,” said Kahlon.

Dog owner Perry Page has seen other pet owners feeding their pets candy. He feels some may not know just how bad it can be for dogs.

“There are a lot of things that are bad for dogs and pet owners should really look into and make sure they know what they are giving their dogs,” said Page.

Kalhon says signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, seizures weakness, and anxiousness.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Channel 3-12

Email the News Channel 3-12 Team


News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content