Santa Maria firefighters snuffed out a fire at a mixed-use, residential, commercial and industrial property on A Street between Betteravia Road and Carmen Lane Thursday morning.
A neighbor says she heard loud bangs at about 7:00 a.m. and then saw smoke coming from one of the homes located at the back of the sprawling property.
Flames spread quickly to an adjacent auto repair shop and garage.
Several Santa Maria Fire Dept. engines responded and quickly extinguished the blaze that sent thick, toxic smoke into the air.
Battalion Chief Thomas Crakes said the task wasn’t easy.
“This is off of a dirt road so access was an issue,” Crakes explained. “Overheard power lines was an issue for setting up a ladder truck…and then having enough hydrants in the area, too.”
No injuries or loss of animals were reported.
The Santa Maria Fire Department has determined the cause of the fire to be accidental.