Skip to Content

Dogs Save The Day in Early Morning Apartment Fire

A couple is crediting their two dogs for saving their lives after a fire broke out in their apartment Monday morning.

A couch too close to a wall heater in an upstairs apartment in the 1800 block of San Pascual Street caught fire around 6 a.m.

Daniel Blanchette called the two dogs heroes after he and his fiancee escaped the fire unharmed.

Dogs Bishop and Lander started running around and making noise, waking up Blanchette and his fiancee.

“I sat up in bed and I could see some kind of orange light from underneath my bedroom door and it just clicked immediately. I said, ‘Oh, no,'” Blanchette said.

He said that when he opened the door, he saw the couch on fire. The smoke filled the room by the time firefighters arrived.

“Tons of smoke,” Blanchette said. “(You) couldn’t see across the room in our apartment.”

The damage was limited to the couch, floor and wall. Nothing else was lost, even though the dogs were the couple’s only warning to the flames on the other side of the wall.

“The smoke alarm wasn’t going to go off, so I think we probably would have suffocated in our bedroom,” Blanchette said.

Slideshow: Dogs Save The Day In Early Morning Apartment Fire

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Channel 3-12

Email the News Channel 3-12 Team


News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content