The man who is accused of stabbing his family to death last month was in court Tuesday afternoon for his arraignment but the case was continued.
Nicolas Holzer’s public defender disqualified a judge whose courtroom the case was transfering to. The case is now set for Sept. 16.
Holzer is charged with four counts of murder after his parents and two young sons were found stabbed to death in their home near Goleta on Aug. 11.
He had a full beard, kept his eyes low and didn’t say anything in court.
Public Defender Christine Voss and Senior Deputy District Attorney Ron Zonen spoke with Judge Thomas Adams about where the case will be heard.
Voss disqualified Judge Jean Dandona and it will take another week to find a new courtroom.
“We have the right, each side, to disqualify one judge and we chose to use that,” she said.
Five of Holzer’s former neighbors were in the courtroom and left quickly when they found out the case was continued. NewsChannel 3 spoke with one neighbor who said the neighborhood is pulling together.
Holzer’s mental state has been brought up in court before but it’s not known if he’s seen a doctor or if he’s taking medication.
“That’s certainly been an issue. It’s something I think both sides are looking into and taking seriously. So, obviously his psychiatric condition is something that we are all evaluating,” said Voss.
No plea was entered but that could come as soon as next Tuesday.