Seven of the original 11 defendants in the high-profile Jose Ibarra murder case sat in court Friday.
The men ranging from all ages appeared in court with their attorneys.
The hearing took place after four other defendants accepted plea deals.
Ramon Maldonado, one of the men accused of killing Ibarra, told Judge Rick Brown that he needed eight more months to review evidence revealed in discovery, which would delay the trial date which is currently set for November.
Judge Brown denied Maldonado’s request for more time and stated he has been given enough resources to be prepared for trial.
Another heated exchange took place when the attorney defending Reyes Gonzalez told the judge that the investigating officers’ notes have not been made available to him and had been destroyed.
Ann Bramsen, Santa Barbara district attorney, told the judge all the notes have been handed over.
Jose Ibarra’s body was found in a rented U-haul truck parked on a street in an Orcutt neighborhood in March 2013.
Police say that drugs and gang activity are motives behind the murder.