SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – A wave of cruise ship visits are on the calendar for the fall season.
The first arrived Friday. The Celebrity Eclipse came in off of Stearns Wharf at dawn today. It has the capacity of 2,850.
The city said the guests who come ashore are an economic boost for the day. They visit the waterfront, funk zone, downtown and take tours that include the historic areas and wine country.
The city has, at times, boarded the ships to learn more about their environmental protocols and waste dumping procedures in California waters.
Special hearings have been held for the public to speak out about cruise ship concerns or with a report of economic improvements.
Some citizens want the cruise ships to be discontinued, claiming the ships create pollution and guests on shore are not spending enough to make a difference.
Past economic analysis reports show there's enough of a financial uptick in some areas to keep the ships approved for adding Santa Barbara to the schedule.
The schedule for the rest of the season will be:
- 10/02/23 Celebrity Eclipse - 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., capacity - 2,850
- 10/03/23 MS Regatta - 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., capacity - 824
- 10/04/23 Seabourn Venture - 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., capacity - 300
- 10/06/23 Radiance of the Seas - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., capacity - 2,501
- 10/10/23 Celebrity Eclipse - 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., capacity - 2,850
- 10/17/23 Celebrity Eclipse - 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., capacity - 2,850
- 10/20/23 Seabourn Odyssey - 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., capacity - 450
- 10/24/23 Crown Princess - 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., capacity - 3,080
- 10/31/23 Crown Princess - 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., capacity – 3,080
- 11/03/23 Norwegian Sun - 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., capacity - 1,976
- 11/08/23 Discovery Princess - 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., capacity - 3,660
- 11/10/23 Koningsdam - 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., capacity - 2,650
For more information go to: Santa Barbara cruise ship visits.