SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- The city of San Luis Obispo was rated as the best city in the United States for bicycling, according to annual ratings recently released by PeopleForBikes, a national nonprofit organization promoting bicycling for transportation and recreation.
Santa Barbara came in third on the the list of top ranked cities in the United States.
The organization looked at more than 550 cities and towns. Rates are scored across five five key indicators:
- Ridership (how many people are riding bikes);
- Safety (how safe is it to ride bikes);
- Network (how easy is it for people to bike where they want to go);
- Reach (how well the network serves all parts of the community); and
- Acceleration (how fast the community is working to improve biking).