UCSB releases plan to combat sexual violence on campus

The University of California Santa Barbara says it will take the advice of students on combating sexual assault in and around campus in a statement released to students Wednesday night.

The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Margaret Klawunn, sent an email to students outlining a plan to enhance prevention and response. Klawunn credits the legacy of student activism.

Klawunn says UCSB will institutionalize student-led efforts.

Here is a list of the proposed efforts to combat sexual violence in the UCSB community:

Maintain a website that commemorates student efforts with updates on the progress of demands. Town Hall meetings twice annually during fall and winter quarters Issue a written update to student community each May Publish an annual report each fall with statistics of incidents allegedly perpetrated by UCSB students and of the campus’s response. Staff will continue to conduct listening sessions in smaller group settings by reaching out to registered student organizations to receive and integrate feedback

“The work of responding to and preventing sexual assault on our campus remains one of diligence, commitment, and high priority for me,” said Klawunn.

Students studying for finals said they appreciate the effort.

Students say the documentary “The Hunting Ground” inspired them to take precautions and to get involved.

Here is the full email sent to students:

Dear UCSB Students,

In May 2015 and May 2017, students voiced concerns and areas for improvement in our University efforts to prevent and respond to sexual assault. I want to personally commend every brave survivor and ally who had the courage and perseverance to speak up about their experience. It is due to your student voice that UC Santa Barbara has created lasting change.

I am writing now to highlight the student activism and staff efforts in addressing concerns around sexual assault.

Sexual assault is an issue that impacts us all at UC Santa Barbara. As members of this community, we can each play a critical role in preventing sexual violence and looking out for our fellow Gauchos. Additionally, as an institution, UC Santa Barbara is committed to maintaining a safe, supportive, and respectful environment for all.

We continue our commitment to provide professional confidential resources and robust primary prevention education through the CARE office, with service locations on campus and in Isla Vista. Additionally, as Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, I have decided to institutionalize student-led efforts so that their legacy will continue to be at the center of our mission. These efforts are as follows:

Maintain website that commemorates student efforts and updates progress of demands Host town hall twice annually during fall and winter quarters Issue a written update to student community each May Publish an annual report each fall with statistics of incidents allegedly perpetrated by UCSB students and of the campus’s response Staff will continue to conduct listening sessions in smaller group settings by reaching out to registered student organizations to receive and integrate feedback

The work of responding to and preventing sexual assault on our campus remains one of diligence, commitment, and high priority for me. I also recognize that it does not come without sacrifice to students who come forward or staff who have chosen this as their life’s work. I am honored to be part of a campus community that continues to strive for the best care for our students and develop innovative efforts to create change and prevent sexual assault.

Sincerely,

Margaret Klawunn

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Channel 3-12

Email the News Channel 3-12 Team

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.