A landscaper was bitten on the hand by a rattlesnake late Thursday morning at an Oak View neighborhood.
Just before noon, the Ventura County Fire Department responded to a home on Kenewa Street in Oak View for a report of a snake bite.
A 22-year-old man was part of a landscaping crew working in a rural area near the home.
The man was bitten on the hand and his injuries and symptoms were consistent with a rattlesnake bite.
People on the scene were able to capture the snake, pictured in this tweet:
— VCFD PIO (@VCFD_PIO) April 27, 2017
A LifeLine ambulance responded to the home and took the man to meet a Ventura County Fire Helicopter, which flew the man to Ventura County Medical Center.
Snake bites are treated with anti-venom which Ventura County Medical Center has on-hand.
Any time a person is bitten by a rattlesnake it is considered an emergency as rattlesnake venom attacks tissue and blood and can cause significant tissue damage.
Ventura County Fire say they receive less than 10 rattlesnake bite reports a year, but that number may be higher this year due to increased vegetation and a higher rodent population.
Anyone venturing out into areas where rattlesnakes might be present are advised to maintain situational awareness, pay attention to children and pets and always keep 10 to 20 feet from any possible snakes. It’s also a good idea to always have a hiking partner and keep a cell phone handy.