A Ventura family was displaced by a house fire that also took the life of their family dog.
The fire happened at around 11:00 a.m. Friday morning at a single-story residence on the 2000 block of Anthony Drive.
Neighbors called 911 after seeing heavy smoke coming from the home. Neighbors also reported that the house was empty at the time of the call.
Firefighters arrived within a few minutes and attacked the fire. The owner of the home arrived and told crews that there was a dog still inside.
Crews battled the flames and searched the building. The main body of the fire was contained to the kitchen and was knocked down in several minutes.
Fire rescue crews located a large dog in a bedroom and brought it outside. Firefighters performed canine CPR for 10 minutes but were unsuccessful in resuscitating the dog.
Early investigation determined that the fire started in the kitchen. It’s suspected a malfunctioning appliance sparked the blaze.
The building sustained around $70,000 in damages and an additional $30,000 in damage to the contents of the home was reported.
Firefighters covered the roof assembly in the event of rain.
American Red Cross arrived on scene and provided the family with assistance in obtaining shelter and food for the time being.
The building was yellow-tagged and Ventura’s Building and Safety Division were in contact with the homeowners.
No other injuries were reported.