Sifting through the debris of a Christmas gone wrong, the Harris family is now trying to salvage anything they can after a fire ravaged their home while they were celebrating with family elsewhere.
“Gosh it was crazy – cause they already had the street blocked off and I actually started running from the corner because we couldn’t get through and our dogs were inside. We were more worried about the dogs cause we don’t want the dogs to die,” says Dalia Harris, one of the owners of the home.
Shocked and in disbelief, the Harris family says before the fire, the house was like a dream home.
“We tried really hard to spoil our kids and give them everything we didn’t have growing up, so they had everything – flat screen tv’s in every room, Xboxs, Playstations, Jordans – whatever they wanted, we tried to get it for them,” says fire victim, Cody Harris.
The fire ended up originating in one of their children’s rooms due to an electrical problem in an outlet, making them so glad no one was home.
“When I found out I just bursted out into tears cause I didn’t know if it was real.. I didn’t know if I was dreaming,” says Jace Gomez, who also lives at the home.
Now the Harris family is trying to do everything they can to put their family at ease, even beginning planning for their next dream house room.
“I want it to look like the sky.. in the night time,” Cody Harris Jr., tells us.
All of the dogs were rescued by the Santa Maria Fire Department, but the house is now unlivable. The Harris family says they might either stay with family or at a motel for the time being. If you’d like to help them out, you can click here.
The Harris family says they are so grateful for the support from the Santa Maria community and the local oil field.