Cleanup efforts continued after midnight at the Biltmore Hotel and Resort in Montecito following the spill of a sanitizing chemical in the loading dock area. Two people were taken to the hospital after the midday incident at one of the most prestigious hotels in the region.
Neighbors who live near the resort were disrupted as Hill Street was blocked and monitored during the cleanup.
More than 20 people from agencies including the Montecito Fire Protection District responded to the call just after 11:30 a.m. Monday. Other responding agencies included Santa Barbara’s Fire Department, the California Highway Patrol and the Carpinteria-Summerland Fire District.
About 30 gallons of “Oxonia Active” leaked from a 300-gallon container. According to online information from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the substance is used to sanitize food processing equipment and utensils. It can be hazardous when inhaled or touched in concentrated amounts.
Montecito Battalion Chief Travis Ederer said the container was supposed to be delivered to an Oxnard farm.
Christian Gonzelez, Four Seasons Resort director of marketing said they moved two guests and workers away from the spill. He said they did not need to close the hotel.
The chemical solvent spilled from a large drum as other cleaning supplies were being delivered to the hotel.
Crews from Patriort Environmental Services neutralized the concentraited chemical with baking soda and donned disposable hazmat suits.
One person inhaled the Oxonia Active, the other was hurt by exposure to the hands.
Crews plan to have the road open by Tuesday morning.