Skip to Content

My dog ate my…ballot

A new twist on the “My dog ate my homework” excuse.

Like many voters this election, it appears Poly, a three month old yellow lab, isn’t happy with the long, complicated ballot or the choice in candidates.

So, the pup shredded the Feldman family’s mail-in ballot.

Poly’s owner, Christine, wasn’t able to talk to us on camera; she was all torn up.

NewsChannel 3 talked to Joe Holland, Santa Barbara County Clerk, Recorder, Assessor and Registrar of Voters, who said Elections Division officers can “always solve your problem” when it comes to a damaged or misplaced ballot and added that on the rare occasion, employees will even deliver a ballot to a voter’s home.

Holland said at this point almost 70 percent of Santa Barbara County voters are casting their ballots by mail; the other 30 percent are expected to vote at the polls.

All three county Elections offices will be open Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Holland recommends voters review and fill out their sample ballot first because, unique this election, he said it is taking people a long time to vote, “a minimum of 10 to 15 minutes” per person.

“It is a very complicated ballot,” Holland said.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Channel 3-12

Email the News Channel 3-12 Team


News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content