Skip to Content

Shooting Leads To Barricade Standoff In Lompoc

Lompoc police responded to a shots fired call around 3 pm Saturday at a home off of West College Avenue and North L Street – to find someone shot in the head by a pellet gun and the suspect involved barricading himself inside of a home – not listening to orders from police.

The suspect, now identified as 32-year-old Alberto Custodio, barricaded himself inside the home for over eight hours. It wasn’t until around midnight that he surrendered to negotiators and a swat team.

News Channel 3 was right there, with our cameras rolling.

“I was kind of worried at first because I know my family lives here so that was the first thing that went through my head was my dad and everybody so I called to make sure they weren’t home,” eyewitness Octavia Avalos said.

It all started around 3 pm Saturday . Octavia Avalos’ home was one of several that were evacuated.

“As soon as I pulled in, I couldn’t even get in here, they had everything pretty much blocked off – the whole street was right here was blocked off – they weren’t letting anyone in to park, they were making everyone stay in the houses and they weren’t letting anyone in or out,” Avalos said.

When police arrived they found a victim who’d been shot in the face with a pellet gun rifle.

“Actually shot in the forehead, penetrated,” Lompoc Police Department Sgt. Allen Chisholm said.

A weapon Lompoc Police Sgt. Allen Chisholm doesn’t take lightly.

“Pellet guns can be deadly depending on where in the facial area obviously,” Chisholm said.

The victim has since been treated and released from Marian Medical Center.
As far as Custodio – he remained barricaded in his home for most of the afternoon and into the night.

Neighbors reported hearing what sounded like gun shots during the standoff.

“Noises that were heard on scene would’ve either been flash bangs, tear gas being deployed and bean bag rounds being fired from shot guns,” Chisholm said.

Custodio was eventually arrested around midnight. Police say two officers were bit by a police dog and another officer was kicked in the knee by Custodio.

“They had their guns out and they were calling some guy out,” eyewitness Mona Baptist said.

“I think they handled it the right way, I think everything was taken care of, nobody got hurt and they got everybody out of there safely before they started doing anything so I think they did their job the right way,” Avalos said.

Police were called to this home three times on Friday and believe drugs are a factor.
Custodio remains in the Santa Barbara County Jail on $30,000 bond.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Channel 3-12

Email the News Channel 3-12 Team


News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content