Sheriff’s deputies on a theft call at a Solvang home discover something even more dangerous. What they found is a Butane Honey Oil lab and it’s used to make a very highly concentrated form of marijuana that’s very explosive.
People who live around the area were alarmed to learn about this because of how dry the hillside behind the street is.
“I cannot believe it, I would have never thought in this neighborhood that something like that could possibly happen,” Solvang resident Lisa Webb said.
Lisa Webb is stunned. Not too far from her home, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s deputies found a honey butane lab. Investigators say that’s something that could easily explode.
“Everything is so dry, I mean the whole neighborhood could’ve went up,” Webb said. “I mean we just dealt with that fire that was over the hill just a month ago? I can’t believe someone would put us in danger like that.”
On Wednesday , deputies originally came out to the 900 block of College Canyon Road in Solvang on a theft call. 28-year-old Ryan Scott Barr denied being involved and even invited deputies into his bedroom to search. That’s when investigators found, in plain view, a Butane Honey Oil lab and more paraphernalia.
“Anything obviously flammable in Solvang is a big issue and you know also we have a lot of kids in the neighborhood,” Solvang resident Charlie Webb said.
Neighbors – concerned about their dry hillside.
“Surprising that that would go unnoticed here because we’re a very nosy group in this neighborhood,” Webb said.
Barr was arrested for being under the influence of drugs, drug possession and manufacturing drugs.
Rod Jennings is visiting Solvang from Chico in Northern California, where he says these types of labs have started fires after exploding.
“Where I’m from they have a task force just on this, and I knew nothing about it, and apparently it’s a huge problem,” Solvang visitor Rod Jennings said.
“Don’t do drugs kids, don’t do things that put others in harms way,” Webb said.
These labs can explode with a simple ignition source like a cigarette or even a light switch and have killed people in the past.