SANTA MARIA, Calif. - Organizers with Downtown Friday have announced another postponement of the event to July 3.
A local vendor says several thousand dollars have already been invested in trinkets for Downtown Friday.
Organizers are hopeful that the annual event won't have to be rescheduled again.
From Chromebooks to Google Nest products, Rene Solis with Satellite Latino has been looking forward to Downtown Friday for months. "It's very important. We acquire 10 to 15 percent of our business and customer advertisement from it."
As the coronavirus pandemic continues, Downtown Friday organizers have delayed the start date several times. As of this week, Ed Carcarey says Downtown Friday is now postponed until July 3rd. "That’s going to depend on our governor and our county. Right now it’s pulled from them. They have zero money coming in. Those are the people I'm afraid for the most and what they’re gonna do with their families or homes, everything."
Solis says so far they’ve already invested thousands of dollars into these trinkets as well as hundreds of cell phones and other devices. "I’m going to give away a TV every Friday. We invested more than 3K on that."
As soon as Downtown Friday does kick off, organizers are preparing for a safe opening. "We’re going to eliminate tables and chairs and the bingo event and have more wash stations," said Carcarey.
"My hope is to be able to generate more money and, you know, get out of this mess for COVID-19," said Solis.